A new mineral!? What to do?
Researchers finding a phase of which they think that it might be a new mineral
are encouraged to use the following procedure in order to get it approved by the IMA-CNMNC.
- Please read carefully the procedures and guidelines of
the IMA-CNMNC on the criteria for a new mineral species and the treatment of a new-mineral proposal.
Please also consult these procedures and guidelines if proposing changes to existing nomenclature.
These procedures and guidelines were published in 1998, and there are only minor changes since then:
- Abstracts of proposals are not air-mailed any more, but distributed electronically.
- The subcommittees of mineral groups have changed, see IMA reports.
- The voting time for changes to existing nomenclature is restricted to about 30 days.
- The composition of the Commission has changed.
- If the possibility of a new mineral still stands after reading the procedures and guidelines,
please download the checklist for new-mineral proposals. Provide the data asked for, as far as possible.
- Send the completed checklist (preferably in electronic format) to the CNMNC chairman.
- Send proposals to change existing nomenclature to the CNMNC vice-chairman.